Monday, January 31, 2011

Words of Comfort: A Short Season

"I know that my testimony is true; hence, when I talk to these mourners, what have they lost? Their relatives and friends are only separated from their bodies for a short season: their spirits which existed with God have left the tabernacle of clay only for a little moment, as it were; and they now exist in a place where they converse together the same as we do on the earth."

~Joseph Smith
(History of the Church, 6:302–3, 310–11, 315–16; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Apr. 7, 1844, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff, Willard Richards, Thomas Bullock, and William Clayton; see also appendix, page 562, item 3.)

I like how the Prophet pointed out the we are only separated from our loved ones "for a short season." Compared to the eternity we get to spend together, our time on earth really isn't that long. I also found comfort in the insight given on the spirit world. My baby is not scared and alone; he is surrounded by many people with whom he can hold conversations. I am sure that he has made many friends and that he has gotten to know many of our family members who have also left this world. I find comfort in knowing that he is not sad or alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment