Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Words of Comfort: We Shall Soon Meet Again

"I have a father, brothers, children, and friends who have gone to a world of spirits. They are only absent for a moment. They are in the spirit, and we shall soon meet again. The time will soon arrive when the trumpet shall sound. When we depart, we shall hail our mothers, fathers, friends, and all whom we love, who have fallen asleep in Jesus. There will be no fear of mobs, persecutions, or malicious lawsuits and arrests; but it will be an eternity of felicity."

~Joseph Smith

(History of the Church, 6:302–3, 310–11, 315–16; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Apr. 7, 1844, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff, Willard Richards, Thomas Bullock, and William Clayton; see also appendix, page 562, item 3.)

I found it really comforting to read the words "we shall soon meet again." We do not know how long we will live. And even if we live to be a hundred, the time will come when we, too, will leave behind our mortal bodies. We will then be greeted by all our loved ones who have gone on before us. This also made me realize that there were people waiting to welcome my little Riley to the spirit world. My great grandmother passed away only a few months before I was married, and I feel very strongly that she was one of the first to welcome my baby boy to the other side. I also found comfort in knowing that there is no fear, only felicity beyond this life. My baby is not scared; he is happy and surrounded by loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment