Friday, February 4, 2011

Words of Comfort: The Morning of the Resurrection

"More painful to me are the thoughts of annihilation than death. If I have no expectation of seeing my father, mother, brothers, sisters and friends again, my heart would burst in a moment, and I should go down to my grave. The expectation of seeing my friends in the morning of the resurrection cheers my soul and makes me bear up against the evils of life. It is like their taking a long journey, and on their return we meet them with increased joy."

~Joseph Smith

(History of the Church, 5:361–63; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Apr. 16, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards.)

I really liked the analogy that the Prophet made here. Death is not an ultimate goodbye. It is like saying, "I'll see you when you get back." Or rather, when we make it there, which we inevitably will. I used to be so afraid of dying young, but now I see that death itself is not to be feared. Because in the morning of the resurrection we will be reunited with all our friends and family. While I still hope to live a long and fruitful life, I no longer fear the time when my Heavenly Father shall call me home. When that time does come, it will be because I have finished my earthly mission. I know when I arrive in the spirit world, Riley will be the first one to welcome me. He will wrap his arms around me and say the words I long so much to hear: "Mom, I love you." And I will weep in joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment